Friday, August 17, 2007

Week 8 - Who needs office? I guess Microsoft does...

Well Well Well, look at what we have here. Google Docs, what a fascinating little tool. The ability to create documents and spreadsheets on the go! Its about time these fairly basic concepts in modern technology are accessable on the web. This is great for a PC with low resources or for library customers who want to work on a document mutiple places and wants to trust Google with their document. It can even upload a file you have with you into its editor in cace the PC you're on doesn't have MS Office. This service, combined with OpenOffice, should open the eyes of admin's everywhere to the possible wasted cost of purchasing every version of MS Office, unless extremely complex documents need to be created. (It is so not worth the money just to get that awesome, and over used resume template). This tool though, great for libraries, and i think its obvious why.

So browsing the "Web 2.0" awards, I saw craigslist won. I guess that woul dbe the place to go looking for a fellow "Furry"(if you watch Entourage on HBO, you know what I'm talking about). But I have little experience with it. The one on that list though that hits me is meebo.com

Meebo.com is a website that handles Instant Messaging for multiple platforms, all through your browser. Its secure, works with firewalls, and runs pretty effortlessly. It will even keep log of your conversations if you sign up for one of their free accounts. Not to mention, since they are still developing tools for it, when you log in, you see their blog telling you what they did that day or week to try and improve it. Also the entries will sometimes contain pictures of office parties. Those are always funny. I love pictures of people i don't know doing something stupid for the ability to be popular at a party. If the librarians at the information desks ever used IM to communicate between branches, this would definitely be a tool to use. it avoids spyware and malware, and has no annoying ads or anything. They also just introduced meebo chatrooms, wher eyou can make your own chatroom on the site and people can come in and talk to you, and have multiple people talk to each at once in one window. Thats the other thing. This website keeps all your IM windows inside one browser window, it makes a fake desktop where you can close, open, drag and minimize and resize IM windows within it. Also if you accidentally tell it to navigate away, it will ask you if you meant to or not. I am a big fan of their work over at meebo.com and love their tool.

Never thought I'd say that I love someone's tool...What a Friday...Have a good weekend and Peace. I leave you with this...A movie my friends and I made about the job interview process. All of us were interviewing for new jobs around the same time, and I'm sure, thanks to the prep of this movie, we got the jobs. Btw, we do a lot of improvising. This was all on one take.

1 comment:

Mama Otta said...

Checking out your "interviews"...I still think you are sick! :-) I think I need a conscious demon,,,whadda think?