Friday, August 10, 2007

Week 7 ... but Why do I get a wiki out of you

The first thing that comes to mind with wiki, besides it sounding kind of dirty, is its resemblance to oral history. Anybody can say anything, and is only as accurate as the storyteller. This isn't a necessarily bad thing, just it needs to be under constant surveillance and double checked, and of course, never cited as an official source. The use that immediately came to mind is that of local histories. Each branch could have a wiki page, dedicated to local hostory, that library patrons can contribute to. In communities where generations of families have lived, such as Catonsville and Towson, I imagine these wiki's could become quite loaded. Local geneologies could be posted, along with first hand accounts of different events in the town. Just a thought...

Libraries can use this of course as an open forum, synopsis of books, book reviews and such. They could post this or have patrons themselves log into a wiki and type up what they thought of the book.Librarians could also post to a wiki answers to reference questions they had to research, so these possibly odd or unusual answers would be stored in one spot for quick reference in case someone else asks the same question.


So enough of the wiki stuff. I watched my first football game on my high definition LCD tv last night...holy crap. I'm a football fan again. I had sworn offof it last year, but I think this has me back in. I could see blades of grass...A BLADE OF GRASS!. I could see Joe Buck's big dumb forehead sweating in the Texas heat. I hate Joe buck, hes a moron, and I loved seeing him sweat. Anyways, HDTV + Football = Amazing. HDTV + Shark Week = FLIPPIN AMAZING. HDTV + Planet Earth = I crapped my pants its AMAZING. They are worth the money if you want more than 2 minutes of tv a month on cable. I got my 37in about 4 months ago for $700 at sams club. Thing only weights like 20 lbs, its a dream.

My iPod continues to dazzle and entertain me. Yes, a straight man just used the term "dazzle". Its the best way to put it. The accessory market for iPods is a huge racket, its as bad as instrument cases. I wanted a case for my iPod. I go to the mac store. They have cases that fit the 30 and 60 gig ipod, and the 60 and 80 gig ipod. Look at that again, if case A fits the 30 and 60, and case B fits 60 and the 80, wouldn't you think A=B? OOOOOH NOOOOOO. Too logical. The 80gig iPod is about 5 millimeteres thicker than the 60, causing the 60gig case I bought for it to shatter, yes SHATTER in my hand when I tried to put it on. So I bought one for an 80gig, and it fits...Why? How? What the hell...Ok, so I got an awesome case for the awesome iPod. I have now watched a 3 hour queen concert on it on one charge, its down to about half life. I watched the Blues Brothers and it used a quarter of the battery life. The thing is a very nice portable "I'm bored and don't like the other people in the room" toy. I am glad though I held out til the 5th generation of iPods.

Wiki Wiki...the sound of old school rap.

Peace

No comments: