Monday, August 27, 2007

Thats no moon...

Behold, the Death Library, capable of destroying planets and punk skateboarders with a single shot.
http://www.englishrussia.com/?p=1320

This is an amazing looking building. It is in Minsk, Belarus. Close to Chernobyl. I doubt the radiation made it grow so big though.

Teachers and students of the local schools had to bring in money every week to contribute to the funding of this bohemoth. The beast will hold 15 million items. 15 million. Think we could get some direct loans and ILLs from them?

I'm just imagining with that large of a collection, they will need a separate for each dewey number, not just ranges. I don't mean to poke fun, but I have seen documentaries on Minsk and children in the orphanages due to having birth defects from Chernobyl. I have to ask if this is a good use of the money.



Anyways on to brighter topics. I went shopping this weekend, picked up a Dreamtheater and Yngwie J Malmsteen CD. Both of them featuring some amazing guitar work. Yngwie though is incredibly arrogant of a man, and I won't buy another one of his CDs but I had to own one. Dreamtheater is quite amazing in my opinion, and am waiting for my concert DVD I ordered on Amazon to come. I also got the Ishao Tomita CD I ordered, "Snowflakes Are Dancing". Its some of Debussy's best piano work orchestrated for synthesizer. It is quite amazing. Its interesting to hear Debussy's twisting counterpoint to be on different timbre's and not all on piano. You hear new things. New melodies, new harmonies. Arabesque no. 1 (common ringtone and theme from the old late night show on PBS called Stargazer about watching the night sky for different astrological events, it used to come on right before the national anthem and then snow. I have been a night owl since about 10, just recently did it turn into insomnia.) is quite memorable on this CD, not just because its one of my favorites by Debussy, but it is really an interesting interpretation. My friend Chet used to play it on piano all the time, it was a really good player, just wouldn't admit it.

Also, I'm getting better, almost dangerous with my iPod. Figured out how to reduce the rip time for DVDs muwhahahaha.

3 comments:

Mama Otta said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mama Otta said...

I did find this pretty wild! My son liked the comment on "destroying punk skateboarders with a single shot". He is a skateboarder....hahaha

Mama Otta said...

Let me make a correction, he said, "he liked the whole phrase."
HOT POCKET