Monday, July 16, 2007

Week 4 - RSS sinks like the HMS...Titanic

Alright fellow noobs, today I tinkered with RSS. I like the concept, I don't like the execution. Bloglines seemed bulky, confusing, and just plain not well thought out. RSS is intended to be delivered directly to your browser. Browsers like Firefox, my personal choice, has a built in RSS reader. I did not like the Bloglines page at all and do not plan to use it.

RSS itself though can be a great tool for a librarian if they don't have to rely on bloglines to use it. Librarians can get up to the minute notes on releases, seller lists, and other information so they would always know what they're conveying to a customer is up to date and ready.

Just as a side note, I believe flickr has an RSS feed for different accounts. For instance, the link to subscribe to my flickr account is:
http://api.flickr.com/services/feeds/photos_public.gne?id=8763101@N02&lang=en-us&format=rss_200

So you should be able to put that into the subscribe box thing on Bloglines and see that I had posted

the other day, that being the picture of the week. Its the sunset photo from New Towne High School in Owings Mills last wednesday night. I took it with my cell phone. I'm kind of impressed by its quality.

But back to RSS, so everyone who has made a flickr account has their own RSS feed. I personally would have taken advantage of that to teach about XML (the programming language RSS is written in), and really let people see both ends of a feed, by subscribing to their own feed, have them upload and see what happens.

On another note, insanity has set in with Bye Bye Birdie tech week starting tonight. This is normally when all the musicians in the orchestra pit bring their new toys and do a bit of show and tell in the dark...get your mind out of the gutter. Not a lot of people know this but most musicians are closet tech geeks. We were the ones spending $400 on the first first like 2 gig iPods, and $1000 for the first CD burners. That brings me to this hot little item: http://www.estandmusic.com/
I want one but at the same time, my tech side tells me not to. The website and info is so watered down because they assume musicians won't know anything, don't want to know anything and just will buy it because it is a solution to a problem. Who doesn't want a backlit, digital music stand?? Its TOUCH SENSATIVE...COOOL! Problem is, when you look at it closely, its nothing but an overgrown pocket pc. This hot little item sells for a cool $1500...That doesn't include the stand for it or the footpedal for page turning, or the carry bag. Each of those are an extra $99. They really think musicians are dumb. Its sad. This thing is so cool yet, they cloud its details. Well thats it for me. Everyone have a good week. Peace to you

2 comments:

JimD said...

Great photo - from a phone? That's remarkable. I wish mine would do that well. While bloglines might not be everyone's favorite, I think it was a good choice for this activity. In a workplace of shared computers, it's not possible for us to customize the browsers the way we might do at home.

Anonymous said...

Good words.