Tuesday, June 19, 2007

7 and a half habits

So I have just watched the 7 and a half habits of successful people tutorial. I actually use many of these in my own life philosophy and teaching. My trumpet student is always hearing me tell him "think of the final product, but pay attention to the skills you must learn to get there, because that is where the satisfaction and the ability to do something else comes from".

Habit 2 especially hits home, "Accept responsibility in your learning". I use a bit of a different approach with this. This can be used as a guilt factor on yourself. Its a "Why Not do it" clause. I use this in many facets, whether its to get over stage fright or performance anxiety, concern over the quality of a new project, a weak photo subject, or an arrangement for my band that didn't turn out quite right. It has to be tried, and you have to put confidence behind what you do. This is where I feel Habit 4 "Have Confidence" comes in. But the other thing with confidence is never thinking your idea is bad. Its a bit ridiculous, but I start and pursue just about any idea I have, creatively. Say I want to play "More Than a Feeling" by Boston, in my brass quintet. That song isn't exactly chamber music. I sit down with a recording of the song and start breaking it down as to how I can simulate it on brass instruments. I start transcribing the music. Now this project of mine, I abandoned. It was going to be too dificult and just wasn't going to sound right with a brass quintet. But I had to start it, you never know. My friends tend to ask me why and how about a lot of the stuff I do. My basic answer is "Why not?". Theres no reason to not try. I find it exciting and fun to jump into things like that. I am self taught with most of the stuff I do. Photography, videography, writing, building a website, building computers, all of it I taught myself by telling myself theres no reason why I can't I do that, and do that well. I find myself feeling very satisfied about those things, but the backlash is always the emotional feeling of "I can do better".

on a side note, the narrators voice was pretty annoying I thought, other than that though, good little program.

2 comments:

JimD said...

Well, there's a lot to say to this. What needs to be stated at the beginning is that you're a GREAT example of the 7 1/2 habits. I'm impressed by all the the things you've learned to do evidently motivated by your desire to learn. I've done some similar things in the past but they weren't electronically based. I think the key is being willing to fail and just accept it without worrying about looking bad. That's such a lock-up for so many people.

Loved the flickr photos. That one of the leaves is astonishing.

Anthony said...

You've been tagged! Follow this link to find out what this is.